May 1, 2012, by admin
FUN FACTS WITH WINE
• There are approximately 20 million acres of grapes planted around the
world making grapes the world’s number one fruit crop.
• There are over 10,000 varieties and sub-varieties of wine grapes in the
• One ton of grapes makes about 60 cases of wine, or 720 bottles. One
bottle of wine contains about 2.8 pounds of grapes.
• Grapes are the only fruit that is capable of producing the proper nutrition
for the yeast on its skin and sugar in its juice to ferment naturally.
• A crop of newly planted grape vines takes four to five years to grow
before it can be harvested.
• Darker shades of wine (the deepest, blackest reds and the most golden
whites) usually come from warm climates. Lighter colors, especially in
white wines, come from cooler climates that are less lush.
• There are about 400 species of oak, though only about 20 are used in
making oak barrels. Of the trees that are used, only 5% are suitable for
making high grade wine barrels. The average age of a French oak tree
harvested for use in wine barrels is 170 years!
• The wreck of the TITANIC holds the oldest wine cellar in the world and
despite the depth and wreckage, the bottles are still intact.
• The longest recorded champagne cork flight was 177 feet and 9 inches,
four feet from level ground at Woodbury Vineyards in New York State.